The Newark 350 Family Fun Festival is happening Saturday, October 17 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Military Park, Newark, NJ.
Here is a timeline of all the great activities happening on Saturday.
Creation Nation™ Art & Peace Parade, featuring Animodule™ sculptures followed by Battle of the Bands between Malcolm X. Shabazz High School marching band and East Orange High School. (The parade starts at NJPAC, runs down Center Street, makes a left on Broad Street, a left on Park Place, repeats the same route, then ends in Military Park.)
New Jersey Symphony Orchestra’s Brass Quartet
Felix Hernandez's Family Fun Rhythm Revue Dance Party broadcast live on WBGO Jazz 88.3 and wbgo.org.
Youth vocal performance group Special Ensemble
Poetry selections from the Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation Poetry Festival
NJPAC’s Wells Fargo Jazz for Teens
Newark Celebration 350 Announcement Program
Family dance party with World Famous DJ Tony Touch
Nai-Ni Chen Dance presents The Ten Elements of Chinese Dance Workshop
Yoga sessions with Newark Yoga Movement
Carolyn Dorfman Dance's high-energy dancers
Nai-Ni Chen Dance presents Ribbon Dance Workshop
Freestyle exhibition by FloydLittle's Double Dutch Inc (FLDD)
Afro Brazilian Arts & Education Academy
DEMO TENT (SCIENCE, STORIES, MAGIC, AND MORE)
Essex County Environmental Center presents Animal Tracks and Signs.
Mario the Magician
Liberty Science Center presents Science Circus
Ironbound Community Corporation presents African drumming with Queen Mother Imakhu
Queen Nur, Storyteller
INTERACTIVE ACTIVITES WITH….
- Newark Museum will reflect on the city’s colorful 350-year history while looking forward, asking participants to imagine and create the Newark of the future on a mural-sized canvas. Attendees can also engage in kaleidoscope-making.
- Fun, healthy and inclusive field games for kids and adults, like switch, relay races and more by Playworks
- Dodge Poets will invite the Newark community to contribute to a group poem about their hopes and wishes for their great city.
- Instrument Petting Zoo, presented by Touch The Music in partnership with NJSO, giving children an opportunity to touch and explore classical instruments
- Triple Play, a program to motivate youth in healthful, physically engaging activities, accredited by Boys & Girls Club of Newark
- Scavenger hunt of historical sites in Military Park, hosted by the New Jersey Historical Society
- Sand art table provided by Ironbound Community Corporation
- Bracelet-making workshop and flameworking demonstration provided by GlassRoots
- Pumpkin carving demonstration and hands-on pumpkin craft activities by Hugh McMahon
- Greater Newark Conservancy's Youth Farm Stand
- Newark Print Shop’s Pop Up Print Shop
- Child’s Play Challenge Course, a kid-friendly obstacle course
- Face-painters and clowns provided by St. Benedict's Preparatory School
- Open house at historic Trinity and St. Philip’s Cathedral Kickoff Celebration! Military Park, Newark
- Newark resident and former Star-Ledger reporter Guy Sterling will be selling and autographing his recent book, “The Famous, the Familiar and the Forgotten.” He will be joined by former Mayor Sharpe James, who will be signing copies of his memoir, “Political Prisoner.”
- Omega Psi Phi fraternity will be registering voters throughout the day.
- NJPAC will be activating a photo booth for digital pictures, ticket giveaways and enter to win opportunity for upcoming shows at NJPAC
- WBGO will host a members’ table.